Location: New York, NY
As a key member of RISE's Communications, Events & Marketing team, the Manager, Communications will work directly with the Senior Director, Communications to lead all RISE public relations and social media efforts. The ideal candidate must be innovative, detail-oriented, and an excellent communicator with the ability to drive engagement. This position is based in New York.
- Design and execute various communications efforts, including but not limited to website content, event collateral, presentations, email campaigns, feature stories, media pitches and social media.
- Draft and distribute press releases and media alerts timed with key events, partnerships, and organization initiatives
- Manage media relations and content capture for RISE's digital channels at events
- Proofread internal reports and external content for partner engagement
- Expand and maintain the RISE press kit
- Track, compile and distribute daily press clips for staff and select member of RISE's board of directors
- Maintain an extensive database of press contacts and relationships with relevant journalists.
- Collaborate with RISE senior leadership to respond to media inquiries; Schedule follow-up interviews as appropriate
- Pitch media to secure stories of RISE's impact on national, regional and niche publications, including online, TV, podcast, radio and print outlets; Pitch and secure interviews for RISE leadership.
- Work with RISE team members to define KPIs for the overall strategy and by campaign; Track, analyze and report on performance
- Document best practices and processes; Identify opportunities for strategy optimization and implement updates accordingly
- Organize and maintain RISE photo and video archive
- Manage agency relationships and contracts
- Complete special projects as assigned and provide timely status reports
- Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years of experience as a journalist or in media relations with demonstrated success in placing stories with national publications and broadcast networks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, plus an aesthetic sense with the ability to apply design principles to create visually appealing campaigns
- Strong awareness of social media trends, particularly as it relates to sport and race
- Strategic thinker with sound judgment and a proven ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Capability to build and maintain relationships with agencies, media outlets and other strategic partners
- A comprehensive awareness of current events
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion and the overall mission of RISE.
- Ability to travel domestically
- Skills with design software, including Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign)
- Expertise in the sports industry is preferred
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus but not required
To be considered for this position, submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples.
RISE is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization that educates and empowers the sports community to eliminate racial discrimination, champion social justice and improve race relations. Through partnerships and programs, we inspire leaders in sports to create positive change on matters of race and equality.