Manager, Communications & Digital Media
Location: New York City or Detroit, MI (In-Person)
RISE is seeking a talented and strategic Manager, Communications & Digital Media, who will own and assist in many areas of RISE's digital media footprint and public relations efforts. Reporting directly to the Senior Director, Communications, you will manage RISE's public-facing digital channels, including all of our social media platforms and website. Keeping a pulse on the national discourse around issues related to race, sport and social justice, you will ideate and execute data-driven social media campaigns to enhance RISE's brand and tell the stories of our impact as the leading nonprofit organization empowering the sports community to end racism. This is an opportunity for someone who has an interest in communications, marketing, storytelling and creating diverse digital content that educates and inspires. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and expertise managing professional social media accounts and working in roles focused on issues related to race, equity, inclusion and social justice. They will also have strong knowledge of the professional, collegiate and youth sports landscapes across the U.S.
The Manager, Communications & Digital Media will assist with our external and internal communications, including media relations. You will work to optimize our presence across all of our social media channels to engage with relevant stakeholders, promote campaigns and programs, educate on matters of diversity, equity and inclusion, and elevate our public image.
The successful candidate will have expertise in graphic design and experience in video production for social media. They should also have experience working with groups across different departmental silos and developing content that resonates with a broad audience. They must be innovative, detail-oriented, and an excellent communicator with the ability to drive engagement and execute projects from start to finish.
- Manage day-to-day operations and long-term strategic planning of RISE's public-facing digital channels - including all social media platforms and website - under the supervision of the Sr. Director, Communications
- Act as a digital storyteller. Communicate the impact of RISE programs and partnerships across our social media channels and website through video, audio and written content that you create
- Track and report website and social media analytics and develop data-driven campaigns to increase engagements and followers across all platforms
- Work with the RISE Programs team to convert RISE curriculum into digestible digital content to educate stakeholders and followers on issues of racism, diversity, equity and inclusion
- Draft copy for all social media posts and website content with input from other team members
- Lead RISE's graphic design and video production needs across the organization, including but not limited to content for social media posts, website, presentations, email templates, marketing materials, educational curriculum and one-pagers
- Create and distribute a monthly newsletter. Compile stories and visual content in coordination with RISE Programs and Partnerships teams, format layout and manage distribution lists
- Support Sr. Director, Communications on internal and external communications for CEO, including media relations and updates for staff and the RISE Board of Directors
- Track, compile and distribute daily press clips for staff and select member of RISE's board of directors.
- Compile and distribute internal weekly updates with Director of Data
- Manage relationships with freelancers and contractors
- Organize and maintain photo and video archive, as well as the RISE media kit.
- Collaborate with RISE senior leadership to respond to media inquiries, as needed
- Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least [3-5] years' professional experience managing social media accounts for an organization(s), ideally in sports, social justice or nonprofit space.
- Expertise with design software, including Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and InDesign)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, plus an aesthetic sense with the ability to apply design principles to create visually appealing campaigns
- A comprehensive awareness of current events and social media trends, particularly as it relates to sport and race
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and the overall mission of RISE.
- Proven ability to tell compelling digital stories and to write, edit and proofread across multiple communications channels
- Strategic thinker with sound judgment who can manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A doer with ability to manage projects from inception through completion while achieving results and meeting deadlines
- Ability to travel domestically
- Demonstrated team-building and interpersonal skills
- Experience and familiarity with the sports industry and media relations is preferred
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus but not required
We offer a competitive package, commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
RISE is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender self or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
To be considered for this position, submit a cover letter & resume.
RISE is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization that educates and empowers the sports community to eliminate racial discrimination, champion social justice and improve race relations. Through partnerships and programs, we inspire leaders in sports to create positive change on matters of race and equality.