Location: New York City or Detroit, Michigan
RISE seeks an entrepreneurial, creative and innovative professional to join its Programs team to empower its program partners and other stakeholders to take practical actions that help to eliminate racial discrimination, champion social justice and improve race relations.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Director, Empowerment will be primarily responsible for leading RISE’s empowerment work with its program partners. The person in this position will be responsible for proposing and assisting in implementing initiatives that help RISE’s partners take action in their organizations and communities. This will require the person in this position to be creative and strategic in identifying opportunities across different stakeholder groups and geographies, and able to find connections between organizations.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in working in roles focused on issues related to race, equity, inclusion and social justice, will have experience in relationship management and community organizing. The candidate will also have experience in driving innovative and new programming within a mission driven organization.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plan, implement, and facilitate workshops utilizing prescribed RISE’s evidence-based programs to empower RISE’s participants to use their platforms beyond the classroom to be more civically engaged.
- Establish and maintain relationships with agencies and community-based programs in order to make the proper referrals for RISE programming
- Work effectively to prepare members to be leaders, upstanding citizens and community role models
- Track and measure participants progress utilizing program forms, participant files and web-based system
- Guide program participants individually and in group settings to achieve personal adjustments in regards to social, school or family situations
- Initiate and maintain community contacts with families, schools and other organizations and institutions to enhance programs and services
- Identify and strategically support voting rights initiatives utilizing allocated budget
- At least five years’ experience in programming, program design, implementation, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience facilitating workshops and programs;
- Documented evidence of developing successful proposals & grants
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Strong leadership, strategic planning, management and supervisory skills; achieving results and meeting deadlines;
- Experience in managing highly visible and politically sensitive projects in a multicultural environment;
- Proven success in dealing with complicated program partnerships and skills in prioritizing major strategies and critical relationships;
- Demonstrated problem solving and diplomatic skills;
- Good knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodology and analysis;
- Demonstrated team-building and interpersonal skills and ability to develop staff capacity;
- Demonstrated experience managing program budgets;
- Proven sound judgment and decision-making skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines;
- Must be sensitive to political and cultural nuances and able to consistently apply excellent judgment to a variety of demanding and fast-changing situations;
We offer a competitive package, commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
RISE is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender self or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
RISE is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization that educates and empowers the sports community to eliminate racial discrimination, champion social justice and improve race relations. Through partnerships and programs, we inspire leaders in sports to create positive change on matters of race and equality.