Group1001 RISE Fellowship
Location: New York City OR Detroit
As a RISE employee and participant in the Group1001 Fellowship Program you will contribute to RISE’s work educating and empowering the sports community on issues of race and social justice. Your responsibilities will vary by department, as RISE works to enhance your skills and strengths, creating customized opportunities based on those. Each Group1001 Fellow will complete project-based work in collaboration with employees in several departments across the organization. The 2021-2022 RISE and Group1001 Fellowship program will include professional development events and support, including connection and collaboration with the RISE team, community and collegiate athletes and staff and professional/league front office staff and players. RISE will provide a fleshed out schedule of department rotations based on projects, which will include orientation, additional developmental programming and goal-setting.
Please review the department descriptions and qualifications necessary. RISE requires that you upload your resume and cover letter as PDFs below by August 15, 2021. Cover letters should include a description of your professional sports experience.
For any questions about the application process, please email RISEHR@RISEtowin.org.
Accessibility Assistance: If you need assistance completing the online application please email RISEHR@RISEtoWin.org with details on how we can assist you in the process.
RISE is seeking two full-time Fellows, former professional athletes within a men's or women's team or individual league, with an interest in two or more of the following skill-building themes:
- Communications, Events & Marketing
- Programs & Curriculum: Curriculum and Execution
- Partnerships and Strategic Alliances
- Business Administration/Finance
Full department descriptions, project examples and associated skills are listed more completely below. Fellows would be rotated across departments during their tenure.Apply Now
- Demonstrated previous internship, work or leadership experience
- Interest in the sports and nonprofit sector
- The capacity to work on multiple tasks and projects with attention to detail, prioritize a challenging workload, being well organized and dependable, positive and solution-oriented
- Proactive mindset with a self-starter attitude, able to predict the next steps, provide suggestions and ask the right questions to keep work moving forward
- Ability to work with diverse communities and on diverse teams of staff or volunteers
- Willingness to be flexible and proactive in a fast-paced and challenging work environment
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to travel and work nights and weekends as necessary
- Fluency in Spanish
- Prior statistical and analytical course work
- Deep commitment to racial equity and social justice.
- Graphic design experience is a plus
- Comfort engaging with partners/fans and some knowledge of the sales process
- Proficient with SalesForce
- Budget management experience
- Ability to create and keep partnerships through stewardship and cultivation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Compensation and Logistics:
Fellowship will be a salaried position, with earning $60,000/year. Candidates will be expected to work approximately/at a minimum 40 hours per week, typically during regular business hours, but with the possibility of evening and weekend hours as well. This fellowship is a 12-month appointment, scheduled to start in September 2021.
Commitment to Diversity:
RISE does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff and contractors, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors.
RISE is a national nonprofit that educates and empowers the sports community to eliminate racial discrimination, champion social justice and improve race relations. Through partnerships and programs, we inspire leaders in sports to create positive change on matters of race and equality.