The Ross Initiative in Sports for Equality (RISE) is dedicated to harnessing the unifying power of sports to improve race relations and drive social progress. We are seeking a Director of Media Relations to execute a proactive media strategy to build the RISE brand throughout the nation. Reporting directly to the Vice President, Communications & Marketing, the successful candidate will help to position RISE as a go-to source for commentary on sports/race issues. This position is based in our Midtown New York office.
- Pitch stories to media at all levels throughout the nation to secure radio, TV, online and print interviews for RISE.
- Draft news releases and media advisories.
- Draft opinion pieces and talking points to further RISE messaging.
- Coordinate media interviews and appearances.
- Assist in providing content for website and social media.
- Assist in developing content for newsletters, marketing materials and event communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years of experience as a journalist with newspapers, magazines, radio and/or television.
- Minimum of two years of experience in media relations with demonstrated success in placing stories with national publications and broadcast networks.
- Excellent writing/editing and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and balance competing demands and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, professional environment.
- Strong leadership, organizational, team building, interpersonal and customer service skills are essential.
- Strong knowledge of professional sports.
- Ability to travel domestically and work nights and weekends when necessary.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion and the overall mission of RISE.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
To be considered for this position, submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Info@RISEtoWIN.org